Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Call me Grandma...

The last 24 hours have been very very very long! We arrived in Iowa City at 8 pm last night. Rylee was taken to an ER room for examination. Blood was drawn, x-rays taken, iv inserted, nose suctioned...at 11:30 pm we were discharged. You must understand that I was told they were going to admit her so we only took the half full canister of oxygen plus 1 more for when we would go home. By 11:30, I had already had to switch to the second canister of oxygen so we had no choice at that hour and time but to go home. We arrived home at 2 am this morning. I was exhausted as all get out. We were suppose to follow up with Dr. Julie or the Peds Acute care clinic in IC so at 7 am we were all up, got ready, took Troy to Tara's and Kris, Rylee and I made the trek to IC for the second time in 12 hours. On the way down, we got hooked up with an appointment with the Peds Acute care, talked to our insurance company and made many many phone calls. The ER discharged Rylee because she didn't have anything severe that showed signs of needing to be admitted. When I talked to NP Diane this morning, she made it sound like we were going to be admitted once we seen Acute care and that Dr. Julie was very worried about infection and growth. However, the Acute care doctor, Donna, was impressed by her growth and sent us home. What the fluff? I mean seriously people! Some are worried and some are not!

On the way home, I called Dr. C office to let him know what was going on and see when he wanted to see her again. I received a phone call from his nurse with Dr. C in the background. It went a little something like this:

Me: Helloooo
Nurse: Mary?
Me: Yes
Nurse: Mary, was Rylee admitted?
Me: No
Nurse (talking to Dr C) No she wasn't...
Dr C (in the background): WHAT!!! REALLY???
Nurse:Really?
Me: Really, we are heading home now.
Dr. C (in the background): REALLY? mumble mumble
Nurse: Mary, are you her grandmother
Me: No, I'm her mother
Nurse: Oh, sorry. Dr. C went to see a patient. We'll call you back on when he wants to see her.
Me: OK, Thank you.

She really asked me if I was Rylee's grandma. WHAT?

Anyway, Dr. C just called me back. I think that he is beyond mad! He is very...extremely worried about her weight and growth. We chatted a little bit about what happened while we were there on both trips. He wants to see her on Friday. **SIGH** I am not sure what he is going to do. Kris and I are both worried about her as well. Dr. C is much more familiar with her than any other doctor at this point in time. If he's worried, than I am too. She has been stagnate at 8 lbs for over a week. She actually has fell below 8 lbs now. We seen her growth curve. She has been consistently between the 3rd to 10th percentile on a preemie growth curve. Which is great and all but you can the downward turn it taking. I believe that second opinions will be in order. For the most part, we liked IC but we may be taking a trip up to UW Children's hospital very soon...with Dr. C in the backseat (just kidding!)

Oh man, we're tired!! Tonight, we're going to have a relaxing night cleaning, washing and cooking!! My house looks like it's been ransacked! Thank goodness for the extra long weekend this weekend. Enjoy your evening. I know we will!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm not sure where the "grandma" would come from at all! I hope everyone is on the same page soon, what a pain to have people saying different things and causing you a lot of trouble. Many prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete