Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Weston Day 2 update

Today was a great day for Weston.  He got his first feeding today of 4 cc.  We're starting slow to make sure that he can tolerate them.  Kris along with Grandma and Grandpa Klauer got to be there for the second feeding of 5 cc.  This was also Kristopher's first time holding Weston.  Everytime I went to visit him I have got to hold so this was pretty special for him.  I was discharged at around 1 today.  I had different feelings on being discharged to go home.  On one hand, I was excited to go home but on the other, I didn't want to leave the hospital without Weston.  I have had to do this before and it was definitely not any easier this time around.  It's awful and I don't wish it on anyone.  I will only be 25 minutes from him whereas I was 2 hours from Rylee.  I get to go see him everyday and spend as much time as needed him.  Kris and the kids had to wait until I was discharged because they were my way home, kind of.  I drove myself to the clinic on Monday and left there in an ambulance so Kris's car was still parked at the clinic.  I was surprised it wasn't towed.  We still had a bunch of things that needed to be done before Weston came home like getting him diapers and a mattress.  The first place we went was good ol' Walmart.  We got Weston's mattress and diapers as well as a bunch of groceries for at home.  Then we headed over to the clinic to get Kristopher's car and headed home.  It was nice to be home.  Troy, Rylee and I napped, I showered, we made dinner that the hospital sent home with us and then I headed back to the NICU to be with Weston.  I really hadn't spent much time with him today so I needed some mommy and Weston time.  Right after I got there it was time for him to eat.  Earlier in the day, the nurse placed a feeding tube down his nose to his tummy because he didn't seem to care about eating much.  However, the night nurse decided that we should let him try taking his feeding from a syringe.  He wanted the pacifier and was sucking well on it right before the feeding.  He took the entire 10 cc in a matter of minutes.  He didn't let any dribble from his mouth and when finished he gave 2 big burps.  I got to feed him tonight and burp him.  Then we just cuddled for a while before he started to feel a little chilly.  His heart rates were great all day with only 1 brady spell.  His breathing is a night and day difference from yesterday.  He's a little yellowish so tomorrow they draw another billi count to see if he needs some photo therapy.  I can't wait until he is home with us especially after cuddling with him tonight and seeing how well he is doing.  Tomorrow I plan on being at the NICU by 7 am which is his feeding time and hoping to be there when the doctor does his rounds.  I am anxious to see what he has to say and if he has any ideas on a time frame of Weston's stay.  I am praying hard for him.  He's figured out the breathing business now if we can get the feeding part figured out, which he's well on his way, then I don't think that it will be long.  Amen for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment