Friday, August 13, 2010

Weston Day 11 update

Today has been the best day yet!  Weston gained 45 grams last night and another 30 tonight.  He's up to 5 lb, 15.3 oz, just shy of 6 lbs!  3 more ounces and he's back to his birth weight!  That's one of the goals, not a major one, just to get close to it.  Surpassing it would be awesome!  Last night, Troy and Rylee stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Klauer.  I took them down to the hospital at 2:15 yesterday afternoon so they could peek in the window to see Mr. Weston.  Troy waved but wasn't too interested.  It was dark and daddy was holding him, they couldn't really see him.  Then Daddy and I switched places, he took the "big" kids and I took over with Weston.  He delivered them to Grandma, while I tried to nurse that little dude.  He did alright.  I believe he took 10 cc at one of the feedings and 6 at another.  They tubed him the rest.  He was a tuckered out little man.  This morning, Kris and I went down to the hospital together for his 7 and 10 am feedings.  I think he took 16 cc at the 7 am feeding.  At the 10 am feeding, we decided to try nursing and see if he was up for it.  He took 12 cc.  The nurse, Shirley, took him out to the scale to weigh him, to see how much he got, and it was like he got a second wind of sorts.  She suggested we try a slow flow bottle feeding for the rest of his 45 cc.  I haven't done this yet, Daddy has a couple of time and had a record of 25 cc.  We bet a soda that I could get him to take more.  Within 5 minutes, he had that 25 cc gone.  He gave me 3 nice, loud burps.  Daddy then bet me another soda that he wouldn't take the rest of the bottle.  Weston proved him wrong.  He slowly but surely finished off that bottle.  Unfortunately, that was the only time I was at the hospital today.  I stayed home with Troy and Rylee the rest of the afternoon and evening.  I did call a little while ago for an update on how he was doing and how his day went.  He took 20 cc, 12 cc and 40 cc from a slow flow bottle.  He also got a bath.  I am sure he's tuckered out now.  I am anxious to see how he does this weekend.  He's full of surprises, that boy.  So it wouldn't surprise me if we go a step or two backwards, we know all too well how this goes with preemies. 

At around noon today, Kris's parents brought the kids down to the hospital.  We are expecting to have to go pick them up so this was a nice surprise.  Daddy ran down and helped switch things over from car to car.  I opened the blinds for the kids to see Weston.  I put him as close to the window as I could, the counter are high and I'm short.  Troy got a little excited for a second but Rylee didn't know what to think about him.  She had a look on her face like "who the hell is that and why is my mommy holding him?" She's pretty much been glued to me all afternoon and evening.  She didn't want to lay in her bed for bedtime so she snuggle against my thigh sawin logs right now. Troy fell asleep at 7:45 on the living room floor.  I think with the lack of a nap and staying overnight last night, he was tired.  I woke him trying to get him into bed.  I told him that he could come and snuggle with me if he wanted.  Nope, he wanted to sleep in his own bed.  I didn't say another word just helped him into bed and tucked him in.

Last Monday, I took a trip to Acute care for a headache and fever.  Today, Kris let me lay down for 45 minutes before he left for work.  I woke again to a fever and chills and headache.  I can't for the life of me get this cotton pickin' headache to go away.  I have teeter tottered between being hot and cold all afternoon and evening.  I just can't seem to find a happy medium.  I would be doing back to "normal" if it weren't for this garbage.  I just hope the antibiotics are working.  They don't feel like it.  Maybe this UTI is why I am so dang tired.  I can't get enough sleep and my poor husband gets less that I do and functions a lot better.

This weekend is my friend Dana's baby shower.  I unfortunately don't think that I am going to be able to make it.  I think that my time needs to be at the NICU and my focus on helping him come home.  Last month, Rylee and I went to my friend Carolyn's baby shower.  Little did we know then that the belly pictures that were taken would be the only ones we get.  Carolyn's baby, Isaac, was born this week and Weston last week.  I the span of a month, I knew very well that there would be 4 babies born.  So far, my sister had her baby, I had Weston the following week and Carolyn had hers the 3rd week and they have all been boys and decided to come in a hurry.  SO, is Baby Donar coming next week?  Is Baby Donar a boy too?  Or a girl?  Those are the questions and many people are anxious to find out.  Either way, Weston will have 2 "buddies" at our family Christmases and outings.  I am excited for all 3 of them!  And I am excited for people to meet Weston.  So far, he has "met" Aunt Carmen and Jalyn and Scott and Aubrey (through the window), Grandma and Grandpa Klauer a couple of times, and Grandpa Harley and Deb.  He has so many people left to meet who will greatly impact his life...Aunt Erin, Uncle Craig, Great-Grandma Dodds....this list could go on forever!  Ok, I am done babbling now, I am trying to stay awake to pump for Weston.  Have a good night all.  Cross your fingers, your toes, anything and pray to the highest of heavens for the feedings to get better and better so we can bring our bundle home!

No comments:

Post a Comment