Friday, August 27, 2010

Life as we know it

Life as we know it around here involves lots of doctor visits, so much so that our 2 1/2 year old thinks that everytime we get in the car we are going to the doctor's office.  Over the last couple of days, I have noticed Rylee's shunt incision has been getting a little red and bumped up.  Last night I discovered that she once again scratched it open but this time there was a gaping hole and something black inside.  I called the Medical Associates clinic to see if I can have her looked at.  Of course, this was at 20 to 5 pm and couldn't get in until today at 2:35pm. I was told by the nurse to call UW and see what they have to say.  I called UW who took my message and number and was told I would be called "tomorrow right away".  Well, it's now 9:48 pm of "tomorrow" and I still haven't gotten that call.  We seen Dr. Alison this afternoon.  She looked at it and was going to call UW herself and find out what kind of stitches were used, whether they dissolve or need to be removed.  Upon coming back in, she said she read the nurse the rights by saying that not rechecking her stitches and incisions was unacceptable.  That nurse didn't know what kind of stitches were used but would find out and call her back.  Dr. Alison came back in, confirmed that the black I seen the night before was stitches used under the skin and were indeed infected.  She also wanted to remove the clear above skin stitches.  As myself and nurse Paula were holding Rylee down while Dr. Alison pulled out the stitches, UW Madison nurse called back and said that dissolving stitches were used.  For whatever reason, Rylee's body doesn't know how to dissolve those stitches.  Dr. Alison prescribed Rylee some antibiotics to start immediately and made us an appointment at UW for Monday.  We were already scheduled at 8:55 am with GI and 11 am with Middleton Rehab.  Now we can add 9:20 am for Neurosurgery.  If we see the black stitches anytime this weekend, we have to go to UW ER.  The hope is we caught this early enough that the infection doesn't spread to her shunt.  If it does, that would be fatal.  Rylee also has a popped blood vessel in her eye which started Wednesday and has grown with each passing day.  Dr Alison didn't seem concerned but I am.  I am so worried that the infection will spread that she hasn't left my side all night.  She's sleeping with me tonight and probably sat and sun too.  She's been soo whiny the last couple of days, I am worried. 

It's been a day, well afternoon/evening rather, from hell.  I had my first outings with 3 kids alone.  Not much fun!  I also packed them into the van in a hurry after finding out that I screwed up my calendar and didn't let my sister's dogs out.  Those poor dogs were in their kennel for over 24 hours.  Talk about feeling like a monster.  The worst part is they both held it, no accidents from either of them.  They had to have been feeling pretty miserable.  Thankfully my sister called her friend to come help me.  These are 2 strong labs and between the two of us we probably could've won funniest home videos or something the way those dogs pulled us around the yard!  They chowed down their food and drank a bunch of water.  I left a light on for them when we left and let them run around the basement.  Kristopher is going to go over and let them potty and put them to bed for the night after he gets off work.  I get a "F" for dog sitting. 

I did however get Weston in to see my grandma.  She was tickled to meet him.  We weren't there long but enough to say hello, get enough milk in Weston to get home and for Troy and Rylee to drag out all of the toys.  Tonight, I am praying for a night of more sleep than last night.  Weston thought he needed to eat every 15-30 minutes for 3 hours.  Not cool!!!  So far, it's been much of the same tonight.  He just twitched in his sleep.  I think I am going to ever-so-gently move him into to his bed and snuggle with Rylee and head to dreamy dreamy land at least for as long as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment