Monday, August 30, 2010

UGH!

That's been our day.  Saturday night we took Rylee to UW ER to have her shunt looked at because it was broke open, bleeding and the black stitches were visible.  They changed her antibiotic and sent us home.  Today, we seen GI, worthless trip!, and then Neurosurgery.  Dr. Bragg is Rylee's new neurosurgeon because Dr. Albright left for Korea or something on August 15th for the next 3 or something years.  Dr. Albright has done both surgeries.  Today, we came in thinking there was an infection, which there is inflammation.  Dr. Bragg was concerned.  She wanted the shunt tapped and blood work drawn to test for infection.  The spinal fluid was clear and as of right now, I have not received a call to tell me the shunt is infected which is awesome.  Rylee will go in for surgery tomorrow.  Our time is 7:45 am again.  That worked so well last time, I am so happy that we got that time frame again. Unfortunately, we have to be there at 6:15 am which means a leave time of 4:30 am.  I don't even know why we should go to bed, especially Kristopher who had to work tonight.  Dr. Bragg is going to remove the shunt valve that was just replaced July 30th and the tubing that drains the fluid into her stomach and put new parts in a new place.  She's going to reroute of sorts.  The shunt will now run more along her ear than straight back.  This moves the tubing's path as well.  From my understanding, Rylee's body doesn't dissolve dissolving stitches.  It was that along with the scratching/breaking open of the incision and the thinness of her skin that the black silk stitch, that holds the valve and tubing together, is exposed.  The worry is that if left as is, infection would fester and spread to the shunt and would essentially kill her.  Dr. Bragg was fairly certain before tapping the shunt and all that it was not infected yet.  Thank goodness for that.  This may have been avoided if we would've had the follow up appointment that we should've had but somewhere along the line wires were crossed and I was told we didn't need to have.  However, you never know.  It could've still happened.  All I know is, it needs to be fixed.  I was apologized to at least 10 times today.  It wasn't me that needs the apologies, it's Rylee.  I have so much to do tonight.  It's 10:45 pm now, all the kids are asleep, I have washed/dried and folded 3 loads of laundry, washed a butt load of dishes and washed Troy's hair (which is a huge accomplishment in itself considering he's scared to death of water and I did it by myself because he rubbed Desitin in it, I don't know where he finds that crap but this is the second time.) and bathed Rylee with the special cleaner.  Nothing a little Carrie Underwood and yodeling singing can't help!  Troy is going to go to Kris's brother's house tomorrow to play while Rylee's in surgery and once she's out and in her hospital room, Kris will go get him. Weston is coming with us.  I am not ready to let the leash loose yet.  I am not with Troy either, but he really can't come, he wouldn't be any fun and they wouldn't like that he was there.  He'll have much more fun playing with Isaac, Noah and Adam.  I still have to pack bags for everyone.  I am not sure who is staying with Rylee at the hospital and who is bringing Troy and Weston home for the night.  Either way, neither one of us will get any sleep, it will be either Weston waking me or the nurses.  Please pray for Rylee's surgery to go well tomorrow and for serenity to wash over me, I am a ball of nerves already.

 2 weeks old
 19 days old, on the way home
 Proud Big Big Brother
 First Ice Cream Sandwich, she liked it!
 
 4 weeks old
 He makes Rylee look big
 She likes him
 Not impressed
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment