Wednesday, September 9, 2009

To Aflac or not? That is the question

First things first...a Rylee update. Before I told you that Rylee was "officially" diagnosed with RSV, Influenza A, Influenza B and pneumonia. However, today I found out that that's not true. Well, pneumonia was true. The initial test read outs for RSV, Influenza A & B were positive. Dr. O sent them to the "State". Well, he received the results yesterday that she tested negative for all 3, meaning nothing grew out from the bacteria samples that got. However, she did grow out the bacteria for Adenoid virus. I am not exactly sure what that is. We had to get a new antibiotic for her because she isn't getting rid of the cold as fast as he would've liked. YAY, another $100 bucks for antibiotics...last week I spend $176 on 3 prescriptions...OUCH! I am unsure how to take this news. On one hand, it's fantastic news that she didn't expose anyone to those 3. However, if she would've had RSV, there would've been a lesser chance that she would get it during the heavy parts of the cold and flu season. I am just not sure how I feel.



Today, she had her "procedure" thingy. I am still not sure what they call it. Urodynamic or systematic...I don't know. They inserted a catheter, filled the balloon and then sent us to xray. This peeved me a bit as we had to sit in the waiting room with all the coughing old people forever. The procedure took about 30 minutes to do. Then back to the lab/xray waiting area for another 45 minutes just to have some blood drawn. Dr. O said that her procedure came back as normal. Therefore, there is no backing up of urine to her kidneys. Her urine culture from last week showed that she had extra calcium causing crystals. Dr. O suspects that calcium, probably from her highly consentrated formula, is causing a calcium build up in her kidneys, enlarge them and will primarily result in kidney stones. I was aware of this because Dr. C had warned us of it. Dr. O has given us the name of dietatian to visit that he has already spoke with about Rylee and her formula. Her weight does concern her. It would benefit us regardless if we change the formula or not to see this Becky and work out the best thing for Rylee, especially since we've already went through all the food allergies with Troy and are aware of them.



Tomorrow is the visit with Dr. C. We haven't seen him in a few weeks and have much to fill him in on. This is also the 6 month check up.



Now, Aflac. I think the commercials, well all commercials actually, are annoying but we had a representative at work today. I sat down and spoke with her. If anyone has any insight on insurance, I would love to talk to you before Friday. I am having a hard time deciding whether or not it is worth the money each money to pay for it. Primarily, I have been offered short term disability, accident and sickness insurance. I think the short term disability would only benefit me if I was planning on having another baby, which I am not. Accident and sickness will help pay for the costs other than health insurance. Like family lodging during hospitalization. However, it only covers one hospitalization per covered person per calendar year. And all of the things that Rylee has been diagnosised or treated for in the last 6 months are considered pre-existing conditions and will not be cover in the 6 months following the execution date. Ugh! What to do? I am really not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment