Monday, September 21, 2009

Surgery update

I know that everyone has been waiting for this all day but this is the first chance that I have got to do anything. Rylee's surgery was scheduled for 12:50 this afternoon but she didn't get taken back until 3:50. It was a long day with a very long wait time. (We received $15 in cafeteria dollars for extra 3 hour wait that we had) My Aunt Lisa and Uncle Jeff came to visit. They actually got there before Rylee was taken back so they got to see her before hand. It was very nice to have them there because I think they put at ease a little more. I just handed her off the anesteologist and away she went for an hour. Lisa and Jeff stayed and chatted with us for the entire hour which helped enormously with the time. Before we knew it, it was past the time that they wanted to leave to get Banjo, the 4 month old puppy in training, from a friend's house in Janesville. Hopefully they didn't hit too much rush hour traffic. At about 5:20, we got taken back to see Rylee. She has a large horseshoe shaped incision on the top of her head and an incision in her belly. Dr. A said that the surgery went as well as could be expected. The camera went right in, to the 3 quadrant of her brain and down the tube to her 4th quadrant. Since the tube wasn't blocked in any sort of way, she ended up with a shunt. She has 2 large bumps on the top of her head where the resevoir to the shunt is. They will be able to tap in to make sure the spinal fluid is clear. Dr. A said that the shunt was working and that by 7, the pressure in her skulls show be within normal range.

She was very groggy when she was in recovery and not awake at all. She let out a cry once Kris and I got there so I got to hold her. This evening she got really red with a low grade temp, then she got pretty pale and then a little rosy. I am not sure what caused that. Every once in a while she lets out a bellar. I am hoping that she gets some good sleep tonight. She will have pain medicine available to her throughout the night. I am also hoping to get some sleep. We are actually in the Pediatrics 4 unit on the Bone Marrow transplant wing. It was one of the only open rooms and she was healthy (no infectious diseases...just a shunt).

If everything continues to move smoothly, she will go home tomorrow.

Troy stayed with Aunt Katrina, Isaac and Noah today. He must of had fun but boy was he crabby when I saw him. He and Kris headed back towards home at 8:30 which is bedtime so that they can take of things on the homefront while I stay stranded her with Rylee. They will come back tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, they get to sleep in tomorrow. I know I will probably sleep on the way home. I actually think that I am going to catch some zzz's while I can.

Good night all. Thank you all so much for praying for Rylee. She needed it and came out just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment