Thursday, June 24, 2010

Great loss and sadness

On June 14, my coworker Karen and her husband Dave were in an accident.  They had just started their 2 week motorcycle trip out west.  They were in Cody, WY when something terrible happened.  I am not sure of all the details but Karen was bumped and bruised and broke her wrist.  Dave, however, ended up being taken (with Karen at his side) by medflight to St. Vincent's in Billing, MT.  He was taken  into surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain.  Unfortunately, Dave would never wake up.  He was breathing on his own but he would never wake, never know his family again.  It was a grim 6 days for Karen.  She was faced with an awful decision.  However, Dave passed away Sunday, June 20th as a result of this terrible accident.  He was away from home.  He was on vacation. 

Karen is an extremely strong woman with thick skin when she needs it.  Tonight at his wake, I seen her break down.  I seen the faces of their two boys.  I seen the tears in the eyes of everyone who loved and cared for him and his family.  Parked outside the Funeral home doors was his beloved street sweeper that he drove to keep Platteville a clean city.  I didn't know Dave well but I do know Karen and how much she cares for him.  My heart absolutely broke when I seen her tonight.  And in all her misery and pain, she asked how I was feeling.  A tragedy like this makes you think "what if that was me?"  I depend on Kristopher a lot.  I lean on him when I need to.  He's my very best friend.  He's the first person I want to share a story with.  He's the first thing I see in the morning.   He makes me feel safe and secure.  To hold his hand, makes me fall head over heels for him all over again.  I can't imagine losing him before I'm 50.  I can't imagine my life without him.  I don't even want to think of what that life would be like. 

Rest in Peace Dave. 

Below is his obituary from the paper.

  David L. Cammack
David L. Cammack
PLATTEVILLE, Wis. -- David L. Cammack, 51, of Platteville, died Sunday, June 20, 2010, at St. Vincent Health Care Hospital, Billings, Mont., from results of a motorcycle accident.
Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday, June 25, at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Platteville, with the Rev. David Flanagan officiating. Burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Sinsinawa. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Melby-Bendorf Funeral Home & Crematory, Platteville, where there will be a scripture wake service at 3:45 p.m. Friends also may call after 9:30 a.m. until the time of service Friday at the church.
He was born on Sept. 23, 1958, in Lancaster, son of Clarence "Casey" and Lois (Baker) Cammack. He graduated from Platteville High School in 1976 and attended Southwest Tech in Fennimore for two years.
He married Karen Budden on Aug. 25, 1984, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Sinsinawa.
He worked for the City of Platteville in the Street Department, where he was an equipment operator and mechanic. Prior to that, he worked at NAPA, in Platteville.
Dave enjoyed the outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping, boating on the Mississippi, cars and riding motorcycle. He was an avid Packers, Badgers and NASCAR fan.
Surviving are his wife, Karen; two sons, Casey and Jacob, both of Platteville; his mother, Lois Cammack, of Platteville; a brother, Clark (Joyce) Cammack, of Platteville; a sister, Kathy (Steve) Millar, of DePere; father and mother-in-law, Jim and Arlene Budden, of Cuba City; brothers and sisters-in-law, Janet (Donald) Godfrey, of Denver, Colo., Gary Budden, of Cuba City, Judy (Dave) Kelly, of Prairie du Chien, Kevin (Janet) Budden and Randy Budden, both of Cuba City; a great-niece, Natalie Grubba; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his father, Clarence, on April 19, 2008; and a brother-in-law, Brian Budden.
Memorials may be given to the David L. Cammack Memorial Fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment