Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, it official.  My sisters, sister-in-law and I are NUTS.  Down right crazy.  We braved the crowds and went black friday shopping at WalMart's 12:01 am sale. I got a few things but my favorite is the bicycle for Troy for his birthday.  I am so excited about that!  I do have to say that people are down right crazy.  Oh man.  Erin decided that she would like something to eat and a quick McDonald's drive thru turned into a rediculous 30 minute wait.  Then about half way home, we almost hit a herd of cows, literally by the hair on my chinny chin chin.  I got to bed at 3:30 am and was up at 7, needless to say I am tired.

Thanksgiving is usually a low key holiday for us.  This year, I made the whole dinner and all then later we went over to my dad's and ate some more!  I made a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  The sage and garlic turkey,sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole and dinner rolls.  We had pumpkin pie loaded with Cool Whip for dessert.  It was fantastic.  Rylee loved it.  Troy broke out in hives from who knows what (a little benadryl and he was fixed).   We went around the table and said what we were thankful for.  Troy said "peanut butter sandwich", haha, it's been his favorite lately.  This is a photo of my scrumptious turkey.



It's been a while since I posted about what has been happening in our family.  Rylee's big testing is coming up, Tues Nov 30th.  They are testing her for Growth Hormone Deficiency.  We will then discuss why this is, what the treatment is, who we see next...those kinds of questions.  Then Dec 1st, I have been subpoenaed to court.  First time I have ever been to court and I HAVE to be there.  In August 2008, I became a Notary Public.  I am bonded and all.  In October 2009, I had a family come in and I notarized a will.  Now, after a death, there is a controversy over that will and I am the main witness.  That darn Notary.  Since then I have been much more leery of what I am notarizing.  I am nervous as all get out.  I have to make it through Rylee's testing first and pray to the high heavens that nothing goes wrong at that appointment.  That attorney does know that she has this big testing and there is always a possibility of something going wrong, especially with Rylee and her "damaged" organs. 

Lately, I have been crafty.  A while ago, when I started making Halloween costumes, I got fabric to make Christmas stockings for our family.  I finally got them made.  They are so darn cute. I spent $16.95 to make those.  I already had the interfacing so I just had to buy the fabric.  I still have to put our names on them but I think I am just going to get those iron on sheets and print them on. So for about $3.50 each, we each has personalized, custom stockings, can't beat that!

 Troy and Kristopher's stockings
 Rylee and my stockings
 Weston's stocking

Last weekend, I decided to make an apron because I don't have one.  It turned out so cute!  I had so much material left over, that I decided to attempt to make Rylee a dress.  It's a pillowcase dress and it's so cute.  I just love it.  She looks adorable in it though I didn't get any pictures of her wearing it.  It cost me just under $10 for the 2 yards of material and I still have quite a bit left over.  So for $10, I got an apron and an infant sized dress.

2 weeks ago, I spent my sunday at the sewing maching and made 1 panel for the kids bedroom window.  I have 3 more to make for their room and 4 for ours.  I couldn't stomach spending the $10 per yard for the fabric I wanted for the kids room.  I wanted something colorful yet still go with the grayish, silvery paint we got to paint their room.  I found those most adorable fabric for our room and there again I couldn't spend that much money just for curtains.  The designer fabric was 30% off so I got them for about $7 per yard.  So instead of getting the 10 yards that I needed (2.5 yards per window), I got 4 yards of the designer ($7/yard x 4 yards = $28) and 6 yards of muslin ($1.39/yard x6 yards = $8.34 for a total of $36.34 for 8 panels to cover 4 windows...not bad!).  I had a picture in my head of how to would turn out.  It looked awesome.  Now that I have my pattern down from making the first one, I need to get crackin' on the other 7, ugh.  And we need to get those rooms painted.



I also made curtains for my kitchen sink window and a valence for the dining room window to match.  Cute right?  I made both of those for about $7. 



I also made a WI Badger wreath.  The tulle cost me $6, the styrofoam wreath $3 and the "W" for $1 for a total of $10.  I decided that I needed to make a wreath hanger to go with so for $7 I made one.



I also made this twined "K".  The twine was $2 and the letter K was $1 for a total of $3. 



I made these jars.  I spent about $2 per jar, used the same roll of twine from the letter K above, $1 each for the finials, $1 each for the spinals and $.50 for each of round bases for a total of $13.  (I still have to attach the bottoms to the jars but one of the jars are bubbled so I am trying to figure out how I am going to do that.)  I got the rocks from the dollar store so $2 there.


I had so much fun but I think I am taking a break from crafting for a bit.  I need to get our bedrooms painted and curtains made and hung.  I am excited to see the finished project.  It's on my too do BEFORE christmas.  I got the ideas of the twined K, Apothecary jars and wreath hanger from Shanty2Chic.  Right now they have not 1 but 2 giveaways that I am excited about. The first giveaway you'll see is for Gorilla glue.  That stuff is amazing.  They have some great epoxy glue.  The other giveaway, I will extremely heartbroken if I don't win, is for a Silhouette Machine.  Oh my goodness, I want one of those really really really bad.  It would make my crafting so much easier.  You probably ask, why the Silhouette versus a Cricut? Because, you get patterns and such online for $.99 I believe for the Silhouette versus the Cricut cartridges for $60+. 

Here are a few more overdue photos.  My little Weston is not so little anymore.    He is battling a cold right now and just got over a nasty ear infection. 



No comments:

Post a Comment