Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rylee's expensive head

Rylee's $500k head isn't quite sure if wants that shunt in there or not.  Her head circumference increased a centimeter in 12 days.  No alarms went off because she wasn't showing any signs of a malfunctioning shunt but typical Rylee doesn't show signs until its really bad.  Monday night I noticed her holding her head and rubbing her shunt.  Then noticed her staring off into space, sometimes her mouth was making a chewing motion.  So I called the UW Neurosurgery and spoke with a nurse who said to go to the ER.  My in-laws took the boys for us and my sister joined me on the trip to Madison.  Once we got to the ER, Rylee was schmoozing with the doctors and nurses.  So we pretty much thought that we had wasted a trip up until they got the MRI quick brain scan results which showed her ventricles were slightly enlarged.  They admitted her for overnight observation.  She's been fine the entire time we have been up here other than holding and rubbing her head a few times.  Right now, Kris and Rylee are lounging in a recliner watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I am on the couch writing to all you fine people.  We're hoping and praying that everything is peachy keen, no seizures and no shunt revision and we can go home soon.  The neuro residents came in about 2 hours ago and we haven't heard anything since so I have no idea what is going on.

We're definitely ready to get out this place.  I haven't ate in nearly 24 hours and Rylee hasn't ate since the animal crackers and applesauce I feed her for dinner last night at 10 pm (because she has been NPO since midnight).  We're all ready to break out and go eat.  Please pray that these doctors come visit us soon and get us out of here!

No comments:

Post a Comment